Banana Nutrament

5/14/2005
Knock Knock

When I first moved to New York City my friends and I happened upon Kokie's, a now legendary den of ill repute. It remained in business far too long, but long not enough to earn the hushed tones reserved for a Save the Robots. A great place to hit up for after hours, you could check out the mamis, laugh at Strokes lookalikes stumbling to the pounding salsa, practice your line waiting technique, or wander out to greet the dawn sunlight. One bored weekday night I went in alone, my only intention being to hear some Latin music and bask in the seediness. That particular night the DJ was off, so I drained a Heineken and got up to leave. Before I made it to the door some hipster chick accosted me and asked that I not "Robert Downey Jr. out on them".

Maulawi - Street Rap
*But it from Soul Jazz Records*


As far as I know, the hammer never fell on Kokie's, even after they brazenly installed video cameras outside the door. Rumor had it that the owner had an in with the local police precinct. What we do know is that the owner sold it off to make it another Williamsburg eatery or boutique. I bet people still show up after hours. This track by Maulawi is pretty much what it would sound like if the cops ever raided a Kokie's by way of Harlem. The relentless fuzzed out bass riff combines with cartoonishly flamboyant recorded voices so exaggerated they are almost the obverse of a proper field recording. It's as if an audiobook rendtion for the cover art of Miles Davis' On The Corner is jumping out at you. Soul Jazz Records has reissued Maulawi Nururdi's first album and also included this track to lead off the uniformly excellent New Thing! compilation, a two disc review of '70s era Afro-Futurist jazz.