Banana Nutrament

11/07/2005
WFMU Record Fair Redux


So I got over to the WMFU record fair a bit late, close to 8pm on Friday. Not that I was gunning for the pre-7pm option. Although, it would be tempting to pay $20 just to be allowed to witness a lineup of sweaty collector pigs sprint from the door and trample over each other for a mispriced psyche record. I'd buy a video of that.

I veered right and lost half an hour rummaging through overpriced, slipshod collections. Plenty of Beatlemania. Started to lose hope until I saw a real crowded table, so I figured they must have the goods. I wriggled my way in between the hungry piglets fighting for the record box teats and was stunned to encounter my White Whale.

Now, I didn't have a "list" per se, but I was reluctantly hoping to score The Fruit of the Original Sin. It's an early eighties compilation where we got the Paul Haig post from, and as a collection of unsorted mp3s, is bewildering to listen to. Described as "a collection of afterhours preoccupations", it really does work much better as a late night record, the continuity from track to track and the logic of how each of the four sides (2 records) was compiled reveals itself. I see now it actually has been reissued on CD, and is available here.

Finding my prey marked at $25, I began to think it over, until I was interrupted by the dealer, who was none other than Jim O'Rourke. He offered it for $20 before I even got a chance to negotiate, so I took it on the spot. Later on I saw another dealer with a copy for $35, and I doubt he would have been so generous on the first night. I now realized why this section of tables was so crowded, and why everyone was working so hard to pretend to ignore the dealers; O'Rourke was manning a booth, and to his right was Thurston Moore. I looked through Moore's stuff and picked out a Ken Ishii project called Echo Exit 1, which looked promising. When I tried to buy it he worked the upsell and rifled through his stuff to find its companion piece. Felt pretty weird haggling with him over the price.


O'Rourke is leaving or has left Sonic Youth already, due to other commitments. I'm guessing he'll be back in a production role in the future, or in the periphery somehow. Here's a track from a collaboration with the band before he became a full-fledged member. Elegiac and unsettling in its quiet rumblings.

Sonic Youth and Jim O'Rourke - Hungara Vivo
**Buy it at Tonevendor**


I picked up Daniel Johnston's 1990, priced lower than a CD would have been. Had "True Love Will Find You in the End" and a nice cover photo of him with one of his paintings, so I caved.

Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You in the End
**Buy it at Artist Direct**


Gal Costa - Baby Gal
Probably the only dud. Record back listed many songs of hers I recognized, but had I looked closely or known better I might have realized they were discofried cheesified rerecorded versions with tepid beats.


Big Stick - Crack Attack
Another good table I found was this guy with a lot of synth, industrial, and avant-garde records. Much of it was Nurse With Wound type collector bait, though fairly priced, not cheap in the least. I had some great luck in his dollar bin, I picked this up solely on its album art. The cover had a coupla punky bohos posing with black kids from a New Jersey project. Large type print announced the title as Crack Attack. If this commenter is to be trusted, it's worth $30 or so. Sounds like Death Comet Crew type beats with an overlaid monologue by a drug dealer or something.


Material - Red Tracks
Had "Ciguri" and "Reduction" on it, so definitely worth rescuing it from industrial dude's dollar bin. Curious to hear what the other tracks would sound like, it starts off real proggy and noodly, but then gets better in the middle. Particularly charmed by "Secret Life".


jyyyyyy 77 ty hnud7vyguhn

Sorry, the baby wanted to do some typing.