Banana Nutrament

1/16/2006
Martin Luther King and Chicago House

Banana Nutrament

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

This is a repost from back in August, I had put this up for the anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" speech. Regardless, I want you to hear it again today:

Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It (Martin Luther King Mix)
**Buy it from Trax**

Even after repeated listens, it never fails to raise the small hairs on the back of my neck. There's quite a few Chicago house tracks that merge preacher records with underground beats, it's even being done today. But none do it so beautifully, this MLK remix is just an astonishing marriage of hope and melancholy.

If you're interested, here is a virtual tour of the MLK's birth home, and the full text of the I Have a Dream Speech resides here.


John Coltrane - Alabama
**Buy it at CD Universe**

Coltrane composed this for the four young African-American girls who died in a 1963 Birmingham church bombing. This unfortunate attack happened directly after the March on Washington, it stood as a sobering counterpoint to the exhilaration felt by the civil rights movement after King's "I Have a Dream" speech.