Banana Nutrament

1/19/2006
Pharoah Sanders + Chuck D = Duo-Generational Double Genius


I don't like doing those list making games, and am particularly allergic to top tens. So don't expect to hear me start rattling off favorite Pharoah Sanders cuts, there are far too many to remember.

Pharoah Sanders - Astral Traveling
**Buy it at CD Universe**

Pharoah Sanders - Love Is Everywhere (live excerpt Paris '75)
**More about the artist**

I did shed a tear at a Bed-Stuy Salvation Army a few summers ago. Came across box of musty jazz records and thought I had hit the dead Bill Cosby granduncle jazz afficiando mother lode. My greedy fingers flipped past Karma, Black Unity, Jewels of Thought, some Anthony Braxton, Yusef Lateef, and Ornette Coleman. Thought they were mine all mine until I realized there was nothing inside their covers. Either the homeless or some over eager Pratt brats got their first, should have known better. My only consolation was bumping into that Broken Angel thingamajig afterwards.

But I just found something better.

The P.T.A. - No Thembi
**Order info at Phonica**


Chuck D and Pharoah Sanders. I've read that mash-ups are dead or too "2003". That's ridiculous, the novelty might be gone, but anytime two things add up to more than the sum of their parts, people will listen.